For fried fish
River or sea fish (whole or filet) 500g
Salt, pepper and crushed garlic to marinade fish
For mango salad
Green mango, julienne, 200g
Shallots, diced, 5 cloves
Green and red chili, diced, 3 pcs (or more if preferred)
Fish sauce, 3 tablespoons
Caster sugar or palm sugar, 2 tablespoons
Coriander leaves, chopped, 2 sprigs
Lettuce for garnish
Lime juice for additional sourness
Method of preparation
1. Mixed all the liquid ingredients for mango salad together
2. Add the mango julienne into the sauce, followed by shallots, chili and coriander leaves. Season to taste. Lime juice maybe added if the green mango is not sour enough.
3. Set the salad aside or keep chilled while waiting for the fish to be ready.
4. Marinade the fish with salt, pepper and garlic.
5. Deep fried fish until golden brown, crispy on the outside and tender inside.
6. Drain the fish from the oil. Arrange the lettuce on the plate, place the fried fish onto it and top the fried fish with mango salad.
The ideal fish used in this dish is perch, seabass, snapper or catfish. If the fish has too tender meat, it is advisable to rub with some flour before frying. The fish must be flavoured just lightly only as the salad to top is supposed to be fiercely tangy and zesty. The mango salad taste must be a strong combination of spicy, salty, sweet and sour taste all together. The ideal mango should be raw green to light yellow sour mango. If only the sweet mango is available, the limejuice must be added to the salad.